250mL pineapple juice
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
2 drops red food colouring (for a natural alternative, substitute beetroot or pomegranate juice)
- Place pineapple juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, tomato sauce and soy sauce into a small saucepan stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Adjust sweetness, if desired, by adding a little more sugar.
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of water to the cornflour to make a slurry. Add to the saucepan and stir constantly for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add red food colouring (or alternate chosen colouring) and stir.
- Transfer sauce to a container to cool completely.