1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a further minute. Remove from the heat.
3. In a bowl combine the ciabatta, onion mixture, herbs and seasonings. Fill the cavity of the chicken with the stuffing, then tie the legs to secure.
4. Lightly grease a baking dish with a small amount of oil. Cover the chicken with remaining oil and sprinkle the chicken with smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes per 500g, or until internal temperature reaches 75°C. You can also check the chicken is cooked by inserting a knife just above the leg, the juices should run clear. When cooked, wrap the chicken lightly in foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Add the sweet potato fries for the last 40 minutes of cooking.
6. Carve the chicken and serve with the stuffing, sweet potato fries and the salad.
Note: A seasoned/stuffed chicken will take longer to cook. Allow 25-30 minutes per 500g plus an additional 30-40 minutes extra for the seasoning.
This July, the humble roast is more powerful than ever before. For every Steggles Family Roast sold, 30 cents will go to support Australian children’s charities. So get on board and Host a Roast to help those in need.