- 1 Family Roast Chicken (about 2kg), pat dry with paper towel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Frozen sweet potato fries, to serve
- Salad of butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado and vinaigrette, to serve
- 125g butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups roughly torn ciabatta
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped sage
- ¼ cup rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a further minute. Remove from the heat.
3. In a bowl combine the ciabatta, onion mixture, herbs and seasonings. Fill the cavity of the chicken with the stuffing, then tie the legs to secure.
4. Lightly grease a baking dish with a small amount of oil. Cover the chicken with remaining oil and sprinkle the chicken with smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes per 500g, or until internal temperature reaches 75°C. You can also check the chicken is cooked by inserting a knife just above the leg, the juices should run clear. When cooked, wrap the chicken lightly in foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Add the sweet potato fries for the last 40 minutes of cooking.
6. Carve the chicken and serve with the stuffing, sweet potato fries and the salad.
Note: A seasoned/stuffed chicken will take longer to cook. Allow 25-30 minutes per 500g plus an additional 30-40 minutes extra for the seasoning.
Host a Roast
The power of a roast
This July, the humble roast is more powerful than ever before. For every Steggles Family Roast sold, 30 cents will go to support Australian children’s charities. So get on board and Host a Roast to help those in need.
Great meal ideasMore...
Bacon-wrapped chicken tray bakeSpend your whole day looking forward to dinner with this mouthwatering meal for 4.
Chilli Chicken DrumsticksAn easy but great tasting recipe that allows you one hand on the drumstick and one hand on a drink to battle that spice!
Sticky orange chicken with Asian greens and so-good-to-catch-upWhether you're hosting guests or enjoying a family dinner, this is one recipe that will have everyone scraping their plates.