Family Roast Chicken
- 2kg Family Roast chicken
- 100g soft butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2⁄3 cup couscous
- 3⁄4 cup boiling chicken stock
- 1⁄4 preserved lemon, flesh and white pith removed, rind finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons craisins
- 2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander, plus extra, to serve
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Place chicken in a large baking dish.
- Combine garlic, paprika, cumin, lemon zest and 100g butter in a bowl.
- Using fingertips, gently separate skin from the breast meat. Push butter mixture under the skin of the chicken. Rub any excess butter mixture over chicken skin.
- Place couscous and 20g butter in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour in boiling chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and stand for about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Uncover and stir with a fork to separate grains.
- Add the preserved lemon, craisins, almonds and coriander and mix well.
- Spoon couscous mixture into chicken cavity.
- Using kitchen string, tie drumsticks together and secure with toothpicks.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. Cover loosely with foil and roast in oven for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and roast for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through (juices run clear when tested with a skewer). Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle extra coriander over chicken to serve.
Host a Roast
The power of a roast
This July, the humble roast is more powerful than ever before. For every Steggles Family Roast sold, 30 cents will go to support Australian children’s charities. So get on board and Host a Roast to help those in need.