Italian Style Turkey Meatballs
For the roast onions:
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced into wedges, keeping the root intact
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the bread salad:
- 500g Roma / mixed tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup basil leaves, shredded
- ½ loaf ciabatta or sourdough bread, torn into bite-sized chunks
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 eschalot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- To cook the meatballs, preheat a lightly oiled pan to medium heat. Cook the meatballs for 13-15 minutes, turning regularly until internal temperature reaches 75°C.
- To roast the onions, preheat the oven to 200°C. Toss the onion wedges with olive oil and season well. Spread onto an oven tray lined with baking paper, and roast for 10mins, or until golden brown and tender.
- Meanwhile, add the bread to an oven tray and drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil. Toss, and bake for 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Whisk together the eschalot, garlic, remaining oil, mustard and red wine vinegar to make a dressing. Add the tomatoes, bread and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss through and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve meatballs with bread salad and caramelised onions.
Great meal ideasMore...
San choy bowA perfect companion for your Chicken Stir Fry.
Corn Kernel Salad with Lebanese Cucumber and Baby RocketA fresh companion for the Steggles Honey Soy Chicken Kebabs.
Mexican turkey rissoles with fresh salsaSpice up your mid-week meal plan with a brand new recipe that's both healthy and delicious.