Family Roast Chicken
- 2kg Steggles Family Roast Chicken
- tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g rindless streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped sage
- ½ cup cherry jam
- 400g can black stoneless cherries
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Cool slightly. Add breadcrumbs and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine the stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Fill chicken cavity with stuffing and secure with toothpicks.
- Tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Rub 2 tablespoons of the jam over the skin.
- Place chicken in a large baking dish. Drizzle with oil and cover loosely with foil. Roast in oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and brush with remaining jam. Bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through (juices run clear when tested with a skewer).
- Transfer chicken to a heatproof plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, strain cooking juices into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add canned cherries and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- Serve chicken with stuffing and sauce.
NOTE: If you don’t have much in the way of cooking juices, add ¾ cup of water to the saucepan with the cherries.
Great meal ideasMore...
Spiced turkey protein ballsPacked with protein and full of flavour – here's your next healthy creation.
Roast chicken with lemon & oregano-way-I’m-missing-thisEnjoy a family roast outside in the sunshine, BBQ style.
Simple chicken and herb saladPerfect when you're looking for something deliciously light and fresh. Serve as a side or save it for lunch.