- 1 Family Roast Chicken (about 2kg), pat dry with paper towel
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium lemons, rind finely grated, then lemons cut into quarters and reserve
- ⅓ cup chopped oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, each cut into 2cm-thick slices
- Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 3cm slices
- 1 medium eggplant (about 400g), cut into thick slices
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
- Extra olive oil, for drizzling
- Extra oregano, for serving
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, lemon rind, oregano and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the cavity of the chicken with the reserved lemons.
- Place the onion slices in the base of a large greased barbecue roasting tray and sit the chicken, breast side up, on top of the onions. Rub half of the herb mixture over the chicken. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray into a preheated barbecue (about 180°C) and cook, with lid down, for 1 hour using indirect medium heat. Baste the chicken with the remaining flavoured oil then place the vegetables around the chicken, drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
- Cook the chicken for a further 50-60 minutes or until the juices run clear and the vegetables are tender (Allow the chicken to cook for 25-30 minutes per 500g, or until internal temperature reaches 75°C.). Remove the chicken, wrap in foil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve the barbecue chicken with the vegetables. Drizzle with any pan juices and scatter with extra oregano.
Notes: Toss a handful of Sicilian olives into the roasting tray with the vegetables if you like.
Host a Roast
The power of a roast
This July, the humble roast is more powerful than ever before. For every Steggles Family Roast sold, 30 cents will go to support Australian children’s charities. So get on board and Host a Roast to help those in need.