Turkey with sourdough, pear, fennel and maple syrup stuffing
Prep: Stuffing : 20 minutes Gravy : 5 minutes
Cooking: Stuffing : 8 minutes Gravy : 8-10 minutes
- 3-4kg Steggles Turkey
- 80g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 500g sourdough cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 Tblsp chopped fresh herbs, like, rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley
- ¾ cup chopped dried pears
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 Tblsp chopped rosemary
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 275g jar Cranberry sauce
- Melt half the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onions, garlic and fennel and cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl; add the sourdough, herbs, and pears.
- Melt remaining butter with the maple syrup and pour into stuffing mixture with the chicken stock. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper, set aside to cool.
- Fill turkey cavity with stuffing, close with skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings. Cook according to packet instructions. If desired sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Serve with roast vegetables and cranberry gravy
Cranberry Gravy: Method
- 1Skim of as much fat from the pan juices from the turkey as possible. Leaving the pan juices in the roasting pan, place the pan over medium heat and stir in the rosemary and lemon rind, heat through.
- 2Pour in the chicken stock and cranberry sauce. Stir until smooth and boiling. Strain gravy and discard the rosemary, lemon rind and season with salt and pepper.
- If a thicker gravy is desired gravy can be thickened with flour.