Turkey & lentil cottage pie
Prep: 40 minutes to make base
Cooking: 30 minutes to bake
Everyone is different, however, I believe that there are a handful of things in life that simply must be eaten with tomato sauce. Not relish, or other uptown condiments, but the sauce of your childhood dreams. In no particular order they are fish and chips, any savoury pie, bacon and egg roll, hamburgers, and this – cottage pie. I’m usually a purist who takes offense if anyone wants ketchup but I give you full permission to lather it on this bad boy and go straight to cottage pie heaven. Call me strange, but I actually really enjoy this for breakfast.
- 500g Steggles turkey mince
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup of chicken stock
- 2 pinches of mixed herbs
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ head of cauliflower chopped
- 2 tbs butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Stick potato and cauliflower in a steamer and steam it until soft. Put the potato on the bottom and then the cauliflower as cauliflower cooks faster.
- When soft, mash it with 2 tablespoons butter and salt and pepper
- Heat a little oil on a medium heat in a heavy based pan and add leek, stirring until it goes a little translucent. Add garlic.
- Turn the heat up a little and add Steggles turkey mince, browning it off well.
- Add carrot, zucchini, thyme, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, and stock. Season well and pop a lid on it for 15-20 minutes.
- Add your lentils and stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Tip turkey mix into an oven-proof dish, and gently spoon the mash over the top, using a fork to create lines in it.
- Evenly spread cheese over the top, sprinkle with sesame seeds and pop into the over for 30 minutes or until browned and crunchy.
Recipe developed and prepared by Danielle Colley from one of Australia’s favourite food and family blogs, Keeping Up With The Holsbys.