Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- 2 x (approx 650gm) Steggles turkey breasts, halved horizontally
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 390g bottle tomato passata
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus extra small leaves, to serve
- 120gm bocconcini (approx. 4), thinly sliced
- Baby rocket leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
- Use a meat mallet to create 1cm thick schnitzels. Combine lemon rind, oregano and breadcrumbs in a large shallow bowl. Season with sea salt and pepper and mix well. Place flour in a bowl. Place egg in a separate shallow bowl. Working with 1 turkey piece at a time, toss in flour. Dip in egg mixture, and then press in breadcrumb mixture to coat. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook turkey, in 2 batches, for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in passata, basil and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Line a baking tray with foil. Preheat grill on medium-high. Lay turkey schnitzel on tray and spoon over the passata mixture. Top with bocconcini slices and grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Top with extra basil leaves. Serve with baby rocket and lemon wedges.