Steggles Pistachio, Apricot and Bacon Stuffed Chicken
Try something a bit different and try this delicious meal.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 50 minutes (plus 10 minutes for couscous)
- 2kg Steggles chicken
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1 Tblsp lemon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 11/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- Remove the rind from the bacon rasher and discard.
- Chop the eye of the bacon rasher, leaving the remaining tail of the bacon intact and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the chopped eye of the bacon and onion over medium heat until lightly golden.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooled bacon and onion to a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, pistachios and apricots, mix well.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings. Lay bacon tails over the top of the chicken and secure with tooth picks.
- Place chicken on a roasting rack over a large baking dish.
- Bake in 190C preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve with leeks.