Steggles Middle Eastern Stuffed Chicken
Something different for the family, serve with roast pumpkin and coriander sprigs
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 50 minutes (plus 10 minutes for couscous)
- 2kg Steggles chicken
- 1Tblsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
- 2 Tblsp slithered almonds, toasted
- 2 Tblsp sultanas
- ¼ tspn ground cardamom
- ¼ tspn turmeric
- ¼ tspn ground coriander
- 60g butter
- Pinch saffron thread, about 5
- 1 Tblsp thyme leaves
- Pinch salt
- Heat the oil in a small pan and cook onion until lightly golden.
- In a bowl, mix together the rice, almonds, sultanas, onion, cardamom, turmeric and coriander. In a separate bowl mix the butter, saffron, thyme and salt. Using fingers gently separate skin from the breast meat. Push the butter mixture underneath the skin of chicken.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers.
- Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings.
- Place chicken on a roasting rack over a large baking dish.
- Bake in 190C preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve with roast pumpkin and coriander sprigs.