Steggles Basil Roast Chicken
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2kg Steggles Family Roast chicken
- 1 bunch basil, leaves picked (60g)
- 2 Tblsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tblsp finely grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- Place the basil and pine nuts in a food processor and process until finely chopped. In a small jug combine the garlic, Parmesan and oil. With motor running, add oil mixture in a thin stream to the basil and pine nuts. Process until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Using fingers gently separate skin from the breast meat. Push one tablespoon of basil pesto under the skin of the chicken. Mix remaining pesto together with the breadcrumbs, rind, juice and shallots, season with salt and pepper.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings. Place chicken on a roasting rack over a large baking dish. Bake in 190C preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve with roasted truss tomatoes and roasted garlic.