Slow cooked drumsticks
Take your time with these wonderful Turkey drumsticks. Ideal for easy, healthy nights.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 3 hours 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 small or 2 large turkey drumsticks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6cm piece of ginger, grated
- 2 long red chillies, seeded, finely chopped, plus extra slices to serve (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 onion, halved, sliced
- 2 carrots, halved lengthways, cut into 2cm pieces
- 8 pitted dates
- 400g can peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- steamed rice, coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy based casserole pan or slow cooker. Cook drumsticks for 2-3 minutes each side, until browned.
- Remove from pan. Add garlic, ginger, chilli, five spice powder, cinnamon, coriander and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add fish sauce and sugar. Cook for 1 minute, until sugar dissolves.
- Return drumsticks to the pan and turn to coat in spice mixture. Add onion, carrots, dates, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil.
- If using a slow cooker, cover and slow cook for 4 hours alternatively, preheat oven to 150C or 130C fan-forced. Cover pan with a lid or foil and bake for 3 hours, until turkey is very tender.
- Top with coriander leaves and extra chilli, if using.
- Serve with steamed rice.