Slow Cooked Turkey Shanks Casserole
What’s more warming than a winter casserole? To satisfy hungry appetites, turkey is the perfect slow-cook healthy protein. This casserole is full of seasonal vegetables and has a rich tomato sauce.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 4 Steggles Turkey Shanks
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 x 400g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juiced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 sprig thyme
- 400g butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Steamed greens to serve
- Coat the turkey shanks with flour. Heat half the oil in a large heavy based casserole dish over medium high heat. Add the turkey shanks in batches, cooking for 4-5 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Reduce heat, add remaining oil, and cook onions, garlic, until soft.
- Stir through the tomatoes, white wine, rind, juice and thyme. Return shanks to pan and cover with a tight fitting lid. Bake in 200°C preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir through beans, replace lid and bake for a further 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Serve with greens