Slow Cooked Moroccan Turkey Shanks
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 5 1/2 hours
- 4 Steggles Turkey Shanks
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 3 Spanish onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tspn cumin
- 1 Tblsp ground ginger
- ¼ tspn cinnamon
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 4-5 saffron threads
- 3/4 cup pitted prunes
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups couscous
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add the turkey shanks in batches, cooking for 4-5 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil, and cook onions, garlic, ginger, cumin and cinnamon until onions have softened and light golden.
- Transfer shanks and onion mixture to a Slow Cooker. Pour in stock, and stir through saffron and prunes. Cook for 5 hours on high setting.
- Remove shanks and keep warm, give the sauce a good stir to break down the prunes. Add chickpeas in last 15 minutes of cooking.
- At the end of cooking time, gently stir through couscous, replace lid, let stand for 2-3 minutes.