Modern Mince Pie
Prep: 40 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- 3 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- Juice and rind of one orange
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 100ml spiced rum
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 3-star anise
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 sheets of short-crust pastry
- A sprinkle of raw sugar
- A dust of icing sugar
- Cream or ice cream to serve
- Place all of the prepared fruit, minus the raspberries, into a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add spices and liquid.
- Place the lid on and cook down for 30 minutes until it has all softened, and plumped.
- Blind bake the bottom sheet of pastry for 15 minutes on 200c. I used a 25cm flan tin with removable base, but a pie dish will also work perfectly.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Take fruit mix off the heat and remove cinnamon and star anise (if you can find them,) before adding your raspberries.
- Give the mix a quick stir to distribute the raspberries but you don’t want them to break down through the mix. You want little pops of raspberry in your mouth.
- Put pie mix into pie base. Pack it in well as you want it to be quite dense.
- Using star cookie cutters cut out shapes from remaining sheet of pastry and arrange them on your pie so it looks lovely.
- Sprinkle pastry stars liberally with raw sugar, before returning to oven and bake until your pastry stars are golden brown (about 30 minutes.)
- Dust lightly with icing sugar just before serving and eat with a generous slurp of cream or icecream.