Festive chicken roast with celery, red apple and watercress stuffing
- 2kg Steggles Family Roast Chicken
- 30g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100g watercress, roughly chopped
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium high heat and cook the onion and celery until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and spice, cook for a further minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to a bowl; add breadcrumbs, apple, lemon juice, egg and season with salt and pepper, set aside to cool. When cool, mix through the watercress.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings. Cook according to instructions on pack. Serve with caramelized peaches.