Chicken roast with prune and walnut stuffing and brown onion gravy
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 2kg Steggles Family Roast Chicken
- 40g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted prunes
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chives
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
Brown onion gravy
- 3 medium white onions, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 Tblsp plain flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings. Cook according to instructions on pack.
- Serve with brown onion gravy and roast vegetables.
Stuffing preparation time: 15 minutes
- Place the onions and lemon slices on the base of the roasting pan. Place chicken on top of onion and lemons. Cook according to packet instructions. Transfer chicken to platter of chopping board while preparing gravy.
- Place the roasting pan with the onions, lemons and cooking juices over medium heat, sprinkle with flour and stir constantly until smooth.
- Pour in chicken stock, stirring until gravy boils and thickens. Strain gravy and discard onions and lemons, Season with salt and pepper.