Brussels sprouts gratin
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- 750g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 40g butter
- 1 Tblsp plain flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 slices rye sourdough bread, torn into bite size pieces
- Cook sprouts in a large pan of salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain and return to pan.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and slowly whisk in milk.
- Return to heat, stirring until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the sprouts in half, place in an ovenproof dish, pour over sauce. Place bread over gratin and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake in 200C preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until bread is lightly golden.